The valley of the river Vara
The Val di Vara is located in the Ligurian hinterland and is the largest valley and one of the most extensive and intact from an environmental point of view in the province of La Spezia and in all of Liguria. It takes its name from the homonymous river that originates from Mount Zatta and flows after 58 km, at the height of the average Val di Vara, into the Magra river, of which it is the largest tributary. The valley is surrounded by medium and high reliefs, the highest peak of which is Monte Gottero, with 1640 meters. The valley is a succession of villages perched on wooded peaks, medieval villages, castles, churches, sanctuaries and mills while nature unfolds with uncontaminated woods and streams, vast meadows, ridges and paths that cross the area.
The organic valley
Also known as the Valle del Biologico, since 1997, when Varese Ligure obtained, the first municipality in Europe,
UNI EN ISO 14001 environmental certification and Ernas registration, Val di Vara offers tourist, food and wine and sports itineraries of great interest and charm. Many of its villages have the typical medieval round structure, with streets and houses gathered around the town center, the so-called “Borghi Rotondi”, a sort of protective ring built around a church, a castle or a fortress.
How to reach
Easily reachable from the A12 motorway, with the exit at Carrodano and Brugnato, it has an outlet to the sea – just travel about twenty kilometers – in the villages of the Cinque Terre, Levanto, Bonassola, Framura and Deiva Marina.
The municipalities that are part of it
The municipalities that are part of the Val di Vara, all of medieval origin, are fifteen: Carro, Carrodano, Maissana, Rocchetta Vara, Sesta Godano, Varese Ligure, Zignago, in the upper Val di Vara; Beverino, Calice al Cornoviglio, Pignone, Borghetto Vara and Brugnato, in the middle Val di Vara; Bolano, Follo and Riccò del Golfo, in the lower Val di Vara.